Search This Blog

Saturday 25 February 2012

Finished Friday


Ok so today is technically Saturday but I was too tired last night to get this post done but its still friday (just) in some parts of the world!

This weeks project was one that happened so fast it never even made it onto my to do list (although I may add it on just so I can cross it off and make it look like I am getting through it- I hope I'm not the only person who does this!)

One of my friends told me that she was moving out of her parents house into a rented property so I had to start thinking about something to make her as a housewarming present. I had a brainstorm with a crafty friend and I googled and came up with a sachet to hang on the door which said 'home sweet home' on it.

I used some pictures of sachets that I found in a google search as inspiration and drew a freehand house picture and copied some freehanf lettering for the words. I then had my template and cut out a front and back from some scrap fabric I had leftover from some napkins I made. (I almost forgot to switch the template for the back sachet- it was a close call!!)

I then wrote the lettering on using a washable pen (this was my first time using it and I was impressed, it is definitely going to be used more often) and used chain stitch to stich over the lines.

As I hadn't been to her house I didn't know of any colour schemes that she had which made it very very hard to decide on colours to use. I went for blue anf white fabric with red lettering so it would stand out- i decided these colours were not offensive to colour schemes and were a safe choice!

Below is a picture of the finished sachet and I'm very pleased with it- it went from idea to finished item in less than a week- my kind of project!


I decided to leave the edges rough and just stitch it together with a blanket stitch in the same thread as the writing.

I now have another friend moving to a new flat so will need to either make another one of these or think of something else to make her as a housewarming present....hmmm.....!!

Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment